The MIUI ROM : Proxy Support Included

I rooted my Android phone the very next day after purchasing it. Ok. I'm lying. :D. I rooted it about a week afterwards. Initially, I was kinda hesitant given all the hype that surrounded the rooting process. Now, with the proliferation of unrevoked ( if you don't know what unrevoked is, well, google it ), it's become much more simple. I began flashing roms like it was nobody's business. I was browsing through XDA all the time and I literally needed to get a life.:D. I tried out several roms and out of the lot, OpenDesire and CyanogenMod proved to be my favorites. One of the main reasons being the inbuilt proxy support that they brought along with them.

Now, every ROM has its pros and cons. If you look at OpenDesire, it's battery life is unmatched. If you look at CM, its feature set is awesome. Recently, a group of Chinese programmers released a custom ROM named MIUI ( I think this was back in December 2010 ) and several others have used this ROM as the base and built their modifications on top of it.One such ROM is the MIUI AU ROM. I flashed it on my phone a few days back and I must say, It is unbelievable.

The UI is probably the best part. Though it is very reminiscent of the iPhone UI, it is a good and refreshing change from the usual android UIs that I've been using until now. The developers have given a completely revamped look and it is over-the-top. It has nearly every conceivable feature inbuilt. I usually used to install a whole horde of third party apps on earlier roms to get these functionalities. However, this one has most of the stuff inbuilt so there's not much to worry about.

The only hassle about the MIUI ROM that amateurs might face is the preparation that is required to install it. You have to set up your SD card to support A2SD+ and that requires a little work to be done. Once you've done that, you can just load and flash the zip file from the SD card as you would usually. And before you ask, yes. It does have proxy support.:D

For those of you who are interested, check out the MIUI-AU website. The instructions that they have posted on the website are as detailed as detailed can get. So you should have no problems setting it up. One more thing. Don't get fooled by the screenshots in the MIUI website. The actual ROM looks much better. I don't understand why the developers won't put in better screens on the website. It certainly would attract a much wider audience.

And as always, if you have any questions, feel free to leave comments below!
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment